Sunday, February 10, 2008

August 27 - September 7 2007

Happy Birthday Isaac (Zac)
My youngest son, Zac, was born on this day 22 years ago.

I hate the birthdays that I miss celebrating with you. Last year was particularly bad when you turned 21.

Zac you have bought so much joy into my life. I love you so much that at times it hurts. I shall never forget being on that escalator and heading towards customs at Brisbane airport after saying my goodbyes to you 4 years ago. I looked back and you were sobbing in the arms of your Aunty Gaile and your sister. Your 6ft 2in frame dwarfed them and yet they managed to hold and comfort you. That image took me to sleep for the longest time. I hated to leave you behind. You were an 18 yearold man-child. I wanted so much for you to come with me but you chose to stay. That first year apart was rough for us both. But look at us now! I cannot wait to hug on you in two short months, look into those dark pools that are your beautiful eyes and ruffle your unruly mop of hair. I cannot wait to sit quietly, just you and me and talk about the things that have happened in each others absense. My handsome boy, I hope all of your dreams come true, Happy Birthday .



Tags: zac | Edit Tags



Friday September 7, 2007 - 05:51pm (EDT) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 2 Comments

Great weekend!
The weather was awesome this weekend. Mid 80's and low humidity. We got to spend considerable time outside with the dogs. Ruby ran like the wind, she enjoyed the less than stifling days too. In fact she tore a couple of those garden lights straight out of their holes. LOL. Shhhhhhhh DON'T tell John....Carrie and I fixed them up and he didn't even know.



John, Josh, Sherry and Carrie on the front steps.

Josh spent some time with us all this weekend too, he is on leave and flies to Camp Pendleton in San Diego next Saturday to do a 2 yr stint at the hospital there.



I love this pic of Brissy. He had so much fun this weekend.





As you can see, both Ruby and Brissy love Carrie. There is something magical about watching kids and animals eh?

It is back to work today. BOOHOO. I hope you all had a beaut Labor Day weekend too.

Ooroo. xx
Tags: brissy | Edit Tags



Tuesday September 4, 2007 - 04:57am (EDT) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 1 Comment

Late Saturday night
Finally I am taking half decent pics with the new camera. I spent a good part of the afternoon reading the manual and playing with settings. I have a new telescopic lens too but have not tried that out yet. I am taking baby steps still.

I wanted to share this wonderful Chrysanthemum. Isn't it unusual? I hope I can get it to pop up again next spring.

What a glorious day it has been here in Virginia. Warm and sunny with a gentle breeze. Ni ni everyone. xx

Tags: | Edit Tags



Saturday September 1, 2007 - 10:27pm (EDT) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 3 Comments

Starting Labor Day weekend..
A little info on Labor Day...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------






Labor Day occurs on the first Monday in September and was first celebrated in the United States on September 5, 1882. The date was deliberately selected to fall between Independence Day and Thanksgiving. The holiday was suggested by Peter J. McGuire, a New York City carpenter and a founder of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and by Matthew Maguire, a Paterson, New Jersey machinist. They strongly believed that American workers should have a holiday similar to those of other countries. The first celebration was observed only in New York City with a parade of about 10,000 workers. The idea spread quickly and in 1894, President Grover Cleveland declared Labor Day a national holiday.

The association of the holiday with trade and labor unions has declined over the years. Labor Day for most people means the end of summer and the vacation season as well as the beginning of school for many students. The day is often celebrated with picnics, sporting events, reunions, and, in an election year, political rallies.

It is so good to have a long weekend. I know I had a very long weekend last weekend but I was drugged up for the most part so it doesn't count! We are suppose to have lovely days here for the next three. We plan on powerwashing the house at some stage. John wants to paint the front porch rails and posts. They are stained right now but we are wanting to paint them a white for a fresh new look. Not sure if we will make a start on that but will hopefully get the house washed and ready to go. Tomorrow morning I am going antiquing with my friend Barb. I told her to take it easy on this poor cripple. hehe. Did I tell you all that I broke my toe on Monday, hmmmm maybe not. I BROKE MY TOE ON MONDAY!!! yes the toe next to my little toe on the foot that does NOT have gout. How ironic is that???? I now have two sore feet and this week has been pretty awful. Oh well. Sherry and Carrie will be here on Sunday and Monday. Carrie starts middle school on Tuesday. Poor kid.....I remember how nerve wracking that can be!!
My good mate in WV sent me a photo editing program this week so I plan to spend some time on that as well as my new camera. I am going to FIND the time! Thanks TB. :)

Sleep tight blogsville

Tags: laborday | Edit Tags



Friday August 31, 2007 - 09:01pm (EDT) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 2 Comments

Mulga Bill's Bicycle
Mulga Bill's Bicycle
by Andrew Barton (Banjo) Paterson

'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze;
He turned away the good old horse that served him many days;
He dressed himself in cycling clothes, resplendent to be seen;
He hurried off to town and bought a shining new machine;
And as he wheeled it through the door, with air of lordly pride,
The grinning shop assistant said, `Excuse me, can you ride?'

`See, here, young man,' said Mulga Bill, `from Walgett to the sea,
From Conroy's Gap to Castlereagh, there's none can ride like me.
I'm good all round at everything, as everybody knows,
Although I'm not the one to talk -- I HATE a man that blows.
But riding is my special gift, my chiefest, sole delight;
Just ask a wild duck can it swim, a wild cat can it fight.
There's nothing clothed in hair or hide, or built of flesh or steel,
There's nothing walks or jumps, or runs, on axle, hoof, or wheel,
But what I'll sit, while hide will hold and girths and straps are tight:
I'll ride this here two-wheeled concern right straight away at sight.'

'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that sought his own abode,
That perched above the Dead Man's Creek, beside the mountain road.
He turned the cycle down the hill and mounted for the fray,
But ere he'd gone a dozen yards it bolted clean away.
It left the track, and through the trees, just like a silver streak,
It whistled down the awful slope, towards the Dead Man's Creek.

It shaved a stump by half an inch, it dodged a big white-box:
The very wallaroos in fright went scrambling up the rocks,
The wombats hiding in their caves dug deeper underground,
As Mulga Bill, as white as chalk, sat tight to every bound.
It struck a stone and gave a spring that cleared a fallen tree,
It raced beside a precipice as close as close could be;
And then as Mulga Bill let out one last despairing shriek
It made a leap of twenty feet into the Dead Man's Creek.

'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that slowly swam ashore:
He said, `I've had some narrer shaves and lively rides before;
I've rode a wild bull round a yard to win a five pound bet,
But this was the most awful ride that I've encountered yet.
I'll give that two-wheeled outlaw best; it's shaken all my nerve
To feel it whistle through the air and plunge and buck and swerve.
It's safe at rest in Dead Man's Creek, we'll leave it lying still;
A horse's back is good enough henceforth for Mulga Bill.'


Tags: mulgabill | Edit Tags



Monday August 27, 2007 - 04:34am (EDT) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 1 Comment

No comments: